Affective Arousal in Web-based Simulation: This study examines galvanic skin conduction and heart rate variability in health care providers as they participate in one of our web-based simulations. Results will help the MGH Academy understanding the basic underpinnings of learning in web-based simulation and will inform further simulation design.
CSAT: This study looks at the effects of incorporating the Computer Simulation Assessment Tool (CSAT) and debriefing into recredentialing for the psychiatry department. The original CSAT was developed to evaluate participants’ ability to perform a risk assessment and identify members of the department who may benefit from further training on this topic. Additional CSAT versions are currently being developed to address other skill areas.
“Reverse Simulation” to Enhance Informed Consent: This study uses a novel web-based standardized doctor, as opposed to the traditional standardized patient, to learn from providers, patients, and families about how to enhance literature-standard best practices for obtaining informed consent. Data gathered internationally has revealed important consensus and disparities between these key constituents regarding what (and who) should be included in an informed consent conversation.
Theater of War--Outcomes Metrics: The MGH Academy is collaborating with the performance group “Theater of War” to understand the impact of their performances on military and civilian audiences. Theater of War travels around the world performing ancient Greek tragedies, highlighting psychological reactions to war that are still experienced today.
Caring for Veterans and Their Families--Clergy and Providers: It is rare that veterans and their families come directly to a psychiatrist when they are experiencing deployment-related challenges. In fact, data shows that clergy are often first responders. With the guidance of participants at the MGH Academy’s Second Annual Seminar for Clergy and Third Annual Seminar on PTSD and TBI for healthcare providers, this study seeks to deepen understanding of the scope of clergy and provider’s responsibilities and how they provide care to veterans and their families.
Performance Improvement – Implementing the Patient Centered Medical Home: In collaboration with the Lunder-Dineen Health Education Alliance and Maine Quality Counts the MGH Academy is launching a collaborative, state-wide, education dissemination and implementation project to assess and expand upon a Patient Centered Medical Home pilot project. Data from the pilot sites will be used to assess contextual facilitating factors and barriers to scalability of the pilot program. Factors related to cost effectiveness and fidelity of implementation will also be taken into consideration.
Caregiver Burden: This study aims to understand the challenges and benefits of being a caregiver to a family member with a psychiatric illness. With the feedback of participants from our patient and family education programs, as well as expert healthcare providers, the study also explores whether attending a free public education program with presentations by medical experts can help reduce this burden.
Commercial Bias in Continuing Medical Education:The MGH Academy adheres to all ACCME requirements regarding commercial support in education programs and seeks to deepen understanding of what attendees at CME events perceive as commercial influence—even in events that are not commercially funded. By optimizing evaluation forms, the MGH Academy continues to learn from attendees about where they think commercial bias originates, and how they perceive it to appear in a program.
Educational Outreach to Veterans and Their Families: In collaboration with members of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Drs. Rosenbaum, Nierenberg, and Pollack, the MGH Academy received a grant from ACNP to provide web-based learning directly to veterans and their families about post-deployment brain responses. This material, specifically designed for this cohort of veterans and their families, was made available starting in Fall 2011. The collected data will inform future efforts to reach out to these groups and help determine whether these presentations are effective for teaching and changing behavior.
Sequential Learning Model: This study aims to determine the effectiveness of the iterative sequential learning model put forward by the MGH Academy, in which participants attend a live event, complete an online interactive learning module, and test their skills in an online clinical simulation. The online packages are now available in clinical areas including acute interventions for stroke, psychosocial interventions for schizophrenia, cultural competence in treating depression, and the detection of primary sleep disorders.
MGH Academy Reference List
1. Gorrindo T, Goldfarb E, Birnbaum R, Chevalier L, Meller B, Alpert J, Herman J, Weiss A. Design and Implementation of Simulation-Based OPPE in Psychiatry: A Novel Tool for Ongoing Performance Assessment. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. In press, 2013.
2. Gorrindo T, Goldfarb E, Chevalier L, Hoeppner B, Birnbaum R, Meller B, Alpert J, Herman J, Weiss A. Interprofessional Differences in Disposition Decisions: Results from a Standardized Web-Based Patient Assessment. Psychiatric Services. In press, 2013.
3. Gorrindo T, Groves JE. The Psychodynamics of Transference: A Virtual Reality Model. American Journal of Psychotherapy. 2012;66(2):151-163. [PubMed]
4. Gorrindo T, Fishel A, Beresin EV. Understanding Technology Use Throughout Development: What Erik Erikson Would Say About Toddler Tweets and Facebook Friends. FOCUS: The Journal of Lifelong Learning in Psychiatry. 2012;10(3):282-92. [PsychOnline]
5. Goldfarb E, Fromson JA, Gorrindo T, Birnbaum RJ. Enhancing informed consent best practices: gaining patient, family and provider perspectives using reverse simulation. J Med Ethics. 2012. [PubMed]
6. Goldfarb E, Baer L, Fromson JA, Gorrindo T, Iodice KE, Birnbaum RJ. Attendees' perceptions of commercial influence in noncommercially funded CME programs. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2012;32(3):205-11. [PubMed]
7. Fromson JA, Sutton-Skinner KM, Gorrindo T, Baer L, Romeo SA, Rieu-Werden ML, Birnbaum RJ. Attention to body mass index by child psychiatry providers when prescribing second-generation antipsychotic medication to children: a survey study using a clinical vignette. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2012. [PubMed]
8. Kranick SM, Gorrindo T, Hallett M. Psychogenic movement disorders and motor conversion: a roadmap for collaboration between neurology and psychiatry. Psychosomatics. 2011;52(2):109-16. [PubMed]
9. Gorrindo T, Groves JE. Medical eProfessionalism: A tale of two Doctors. Journal of Clinical Ethics 2011;22(2):176-178. [PubMed]
10. Gorrindo T, Bostic J. The “New” CME and you. AACAP News. 2011;42(5):244-245.
11. Gorrindo T, Baer L, Sanders KM, Birnbaum RJ, Fromson JA, Sutton-Skinner KM, Romeo SA, Beresin EV. Web-based simulation in psychiatry residency training: a pilot study. Acad Psychiatry. 2011;35(4):232-7. [PubMed]
12. Huffman JC, Petersen T, Baer L, Romeo S, Sutton-Skinner K, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ. Outcomes assessment in psychiatric postgraduate medical education: an exploratory study using clinical case vignettes. Acad Psychiatry. 2010;34(6):445-8. [PubMed]
13. Huffman JC, Freudenreich O, Romeo S, Baer L, Sutton-Skinner K, Petersen T, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ. Assessing clinicians' management of first episode schizophrenia using clinical case vignettes. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2010;4(1):31-8. [PubMed]
14. Gorrindo T, Groves JE. Crime and Hate in Virtual Worlds: A New Playground for the Id? Harvard Review of Psychiatry. 2010;18(2):113-118. [PubMed]
15. Gorrindo T, Brendel D. Avatars, Cybercoaches, and Search Engines: Internet Technology’s Value in Modern Psychiatry. Harvard Review of Psychiatry. 2010;18(2):77-79. [PubMed]
16. DesRoches CM, Rao SR, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ, Iezzoni L, Vogeli C, Campbell EG. Physicians' perceptions, preparedness for reporting, and experiences related to impaired and incompetent colleagues. JAMA. 2010;304(2):187-93. [PubMed]
17. Rosenbaum BP, Gorrindo TL, Patel SG, McTigue MP, Rodgers SM, Miller BM. Medical student involvement in website development. Medical Teacher. 2009;31(7):627 - 633. [PubMed]
18. Gorrindo T, Robbins G. A Facebook Primer for Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists. AACAP News. 2009;40(3):138-139. [AACAP]
19. Gorrindo T, Groves JE. Computer Simulation and Virtual Reality in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders. Acad Psychiatry. 2009;33(5):413-417. [PubMed]
20. Petersen TJ, Huffman JC, Weiss AP, Blais MA, Andreotti CF, Horwitz MB, Birnbaum RJ. Reach of benchmark psychiatric trial results to community-based providers: a case study of CATIE. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008;69(7):1081-6. [PubMed]
21. Gorrindo T, Groves JE. Web searches about physicians. [letter in reply]. JAMA. 2008;300(19):2250.
22. Gorrindo T, Groves JE. Web searching for information about physicians. JAMA. 2008;300(2):213-5.
23. Gorrindo T, Gorrindo PC, Groves JE. Intersection of online social networking with medical professionalism: can medicine police the facebook boom? J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23(12):2155; author reply 2156. [PubMed]
24. Groves JE. Intersection of online social networking with medical professionalism: can medicine police the facebook boom? J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23(12):2155; author reply 2156. [PubMed]
25. Gorrindo T, Lu Y, Pincus S, Riley A, Simon JA, Singer BH, Weinstein M. Lifelong menstrual histories are typically erratic and trending: a taxonomy. Menopause. 2007;14(1):74-88. [PubMed]
26. Papakostas GI, Petersen TJ, Perlis RH, Judy AE, Burns AM, Alpert JE, Birnbaum RJ, Fava M. A survey of antidepressant prescribing practices in major depression with comorbid attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006;26(2):216-8. [PubMed]
27. Leibenluft E, Cohen P, Gorrindo T, Brook JS, Pine DS. Chronic versus episodic irritability in youth: a community-based, longitudinal study of clinical and diagnostic associations. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2006;16(4):456-66. [PubMed]
28. Towbin KE, Pradella A, Gorrindo T, Pine DS, Leibenluft E. Autism spectrum traits in children with mood and anxiety disorders. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2005;15(3):452-64. [PubMed]
29. Gorrindo T, Blair RJ, Budhani S, Dickstein DP, Pine DS, Leibenluft E. Deficits on a probabilistic response-reversal task in patients with pediatric bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162(10):1975-7. [PubMed]
30. Ferrell RJ, O'Connor KA, Rodriguez G, Gorrindo T, Holman DJ, Brindle E, Miller RC, Schechter DE, Korshalla L, Simon JA, Mansfield PK, Wood JW, Weinstein M. Monitoring reproductive aging in a 5-year prospective study: aggregate and individual changes in steroid hormones and menstrual cycle lengths with age. Menopause. 2005;12(5):567-77. [PubMed]
31. Weinstein M, Gorrindo T, Riley A, Mormino J, Niedfeldt J, Singer B, Rodriguez G, Simon J, Pincus S. Timing of menopause and patterns of menstrual bleeding. Am J Epidemiol. 2003;158(8):782-91. [PubMed]
32. Lin IF, Goldman N, Weinstein M, Lin Y-H, Gorrindo T, Seeman T. Gender differences in adult children's support of their parents in Taiwan. Journal of Marriage and Family. 2003;65(1):184-200. [PubMed]
33. Riley AP, Weinstein M, Ridley JC, Mormino J, Gorrindo T. Menarcheal age and subsequent patterns of family formation. Soc Biol. 2001;48(1-2):21-43. [PubMed]
Posters and Presentations
1. Chevalier L, Gorrindo T, Birnbaum R. Clinical Web-Based Simulation: A Novel Tool for Assessing Providers’ New Roles in Team-based Care. HMS Psychiatry Research Day & Mysell Lecture. Boston; 2013. [PDF]
2. Chevalier L, Gorrindo T, Goldfarb E, Hoeppner B, Birnbaum R. Identifying and Remediating Confidence Gaps in Caregiver Roles: Addressing Patient-Centered Health Care Reform. Public and Community Psychiatry Symposium Boston; 2013. [PDF]
3. Gorrindo T, Merril J, Birnbaum RJ. LMS Development: Integrating Education and Quality Improvement. at Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Profession’s 38th Annual Conference. San Francisco; 2013
4. Petersen T, Sprich S, Birnbaum RJ, Fromson JA, Gorrindo T, Chevalier L, Baer L, Wilhelm S. CBT Basics Training for Remotely Located Practitioners: Development and Implementation of an Interactive Online Course. 46th Annual Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies Convention. National Harbor, MD; 2012. [PDF]
5. Letourneau L, Chisari G, Fromson JA, Goldfarb E, Gorrindo T, Cray C, Grenier N, Hoeppner B, Payne S, Birnbaum RJ. Improving Quality and Team-Based Practice: Using Education to Implement the Patient Centered Medical Home Throughout Maine. 4th Annual AAMC Integrating Quality Meeting. Chicago, IL; 2012. [PDF]
6. Gorrindo T, Goldfarb E, Fromson JA, Hoeppner BB, Birnbaum RJ. Mixed Methods Needs Assessment of Interprofessional Preparedness. CME Congress. Toronto, CA; 2012. [PDF]
7. Gorrindo T, Goldfarb E, Birnbaum RJ. Examining Autonomic Arousal in a Web-Based CME Simulation Activity. Talk for fringe presentation at CME Congress. Toronto, CA; 2012.
8. Goldfarb E, Gorrindo T, Masek BJ, Evans KC, Dougherty DD, Hoeppner BB, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ. Autonomic Arousal and Emotional Learning in Web-Based Psychiatric Simulation. The Mysell Research Colloquium, Harvard Medical School. Boston, MA; 2012. [PDF]
9. Goldfarb E, Fromson JA, Gorrindo T, Birnbaum RJ. Enhancing Informed Consent Best Practices: Disseminating Reverse Simulation. 5th Annual NIH Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation. Bethesda, MD; 2012. [PDF]
10. Chevalier L, Gorrindo T, Goldfarb E, Hoeppner B, Birnbaum RJ, Meller B, Alpert J, Herman J, Weiss A. Using a Web-based Standardized Clinical Encounter to Evaluate Providers’ Ability to Assess Risk of Suicide. 24th Annual National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care. Orlando, FL; 2012. [PDF]
11. Rieu-Werden ML, Hirsch M, Gorrindo T, Fromson JA, Romeo SA, Birnbaum RJ. Antipsychotic Associated Metabolic Side Effects: Examining Knowledge and Practice Gaps Among Prescribing Clinicians. The Mysell Research Colloquium, Harvard Medical School. Boston, MA; 2011. [PDF]
12. Irwin L, Fishman JA, Rieu-Werden ML, Romeo SA, Gorrindo T, Birnbaum RJ. CMS Conditions of Participation: An Interactive Learning Module for Competency Assessment. UNOS Transplant Management Forum. Denver, Colorado; 2011. [PDF]
13. Iodice KE, Rieu-Werden ML, Miller J, Baer L, Houghteling P, Romeo SA, Nathif A, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ. Talking about Stigma with Healthcare Providers: A Survey of Parents of Children with Learning and Behavioral Difficulties. 57th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. New York, NY; 2011. [PDF]
14. Iodice KE, Goldfarb E, Gorrindo T, Baer L, Moody JL, Rieu-Werden ML, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ. Patient and Family Panels Enhance Live Continuing Medical Education Programs. The Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education Spring Meeting. New York, NY; 2011. [PDF]
15. Iodice KE, Fromson JA, Donelan K, Campbell EG, Birnbaum RJ. The Returning Veteran: A Case for Collaborative Care. The Mysell Research Colloquium, Harvard Medical School. Boston, MA; 2011. [PDF]
16. Gorrindo T, Goldfarb E, Baer L, Birnbaum RJ, Fromson JA. Web-based Simulation as a Component of Continuing Medical Education: Data from the CSAT Project. Talk presented on panel at the MedBiquitous Annual Conference. Baltimore, MD; 2011.
17. Goldfarb E, Fromson JA, Baer L, Gorrindo T, Nathif A, Moody JL, Iodice KE, Rieu-Werden ML, Birnbaum RJ. Reverse Simulation: Novel Tool to Implement Informed Consent Methods. 4th Annual NIH Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation. Bethesda, MD; 2011. [PDF]
18. Goldfarb E, Baer L, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ. Examining the Concept and Measurement of Commercial Bias in CME Programs. The Mysell Research Colloquium, Harvard Medical School. Boston, MA; 2011. [PDF]
19. Romeo SA, Tang H, Jiang R, Yu X, Ma H, Guo Y, Li F, Miller JK, Yeung A, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ. Mental health providers’ responses to a clinical case vignette: transcultural diagnostic and treatment differences. Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association. New Orleans, LA; 2010. [PDF]
20. Rieu-Werden ML, Sutton-Skinner KM, Romeo SA, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ. Underutilization of nonpharmacologic interventions for insomnia by healthcare providers. Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association. New Orleans, LA; 2010. [PDF]
21. Sutton-Skinner KM, Romeo SA, Birnbaum RJ, Petersen TJ, Baer L, Huffman JC. Performance disparities by healthcare provider discipline utilizing a psychiatric clinical case vignette. Simches Symposium. Boston, MA; 2009. [PDF]
22. Romeo S, Sutton-Skinner K, Petersen T, Sloman S, Baer L, Huffman J, Andreotti CF, Fromson JA, Birnbaum RJ. Clinical decision-making biases in mental health providers. The Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association. San Francisco, CA; 2009. [PDF]
23. Romeo S, Sutton-Skinner K, Petersen T, Baer L, Huffman J, Birnbaum RJ, Sloman S. Clinical Decision-Making Biases in Mental Health Providers. 2009 Research Day, Harvard Medical School Psychiatry Department. Boston, MA; 2009. [PDF]
24. Gorrindo T, Locke S, Romeo S, Sutton-Skinner K, Rieu-Werden M, Baer L. Development of a web-based simulator to teach improved patient-physician interactions. The Academy at Harvard Medical School, Medical Education Day. Boston, MA; 2009.
25. Gorrindo T, Baer L, Locke S, Fromson JA, Sutton-Skinner KM, Romeo SA, Beresin EV, Sanders KM, Birnbaum RJ. Web-based assessment of physician performance. Institute for Healthcare Improvement 21st Annual National Forum. Orlando, FL; 2009. [PDF]
26. Gorrindo T, Baer L, Locke S, Fromson JA, Sutton-Skinner KM, Romeo SA, Beresin EV, Sanders KM, Birnbaum RJ. Assessing Physician Performance of Informed Consent Using a Web-based Simulation Tool. The Mysell Research Colloquium, Harvard Medical School. Boston, MA; 2009. [PDF]
27. Romeo S, Sutton-Skinner K, Petersen T, Sloman S, Baer L, Huffman J, Birnbaum RJ. Clinical Decision Making Biases in a Group of Mental Health Providers. Simches Symposium. Boston, MA; 2008. [PDF]
28. Petersen TJ, Andreotti CF, Huffman JC, Baer L, Birnbaum RJ. Pilot testing of clinical simulations to enhance psychiatry CME. CME Congress. Vancouver, CA; 2008. [PDF]
29. Petersen T, Papakostas G, Lietz A, Andreotti CF, Birnbaum RJ, Fava M, Spencer TJ, Wilens T, Biederman J. Impact of FDA Black Box Warning on Clinicians’ Beliefs about the Safety of Antidepressant Usage in Pediatric Patients. Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association. Washington, DC; 2008. [PDF]
30. Petersen T, Birnbaum RJ, Huffman J, Weiss A, Andreotti CF. Dynamic Integration of Outcomes Metrics. Alliance for Continuing Medical Education 33rd Annual Conference. Orlando, FL; 2008.
31. Andreotti CF, Petersen T, Blumenfeld K, Blais MA, Birnbaum RJ. Perceived Needs and Barriers to Access of Mental Health Information: Patient, Family Member, and Provider Views. Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association. Washington D.C; 2008. [PDF]
1. Stern T, Herman J, Gorrindo T. Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Update and Board Preparation. 3rd ed. Boston (MA): MGH Psychiatry Academy Press; 2012. [Prep Courses]
1. Gorrindo T, Groves JE. Brave New Worlds: Medical Professionalism in the Digital Era. In: Social Media Medicine, eds. Boateng BA, Black EW, NEW FORUMS PressINC; 2012. [Link]
2. Bahl R, Booma E, Gorrindo T, Okpokwasili E. Special populations: child psychiatry. In:. The Massachusetts General Hospital/Mclean Hospital Pocket Handbook of Psychiatry, eds Rosenquist J, Nykiel S, Philadelphia (PA): Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009:115-121. [Link]
Research Assistant, 2010-2012
Doctoral Student, Department of Psychology, NYU
Research Assistant, 2010-2011
Counselor, Tapestry Health
Research Assistant, 2010-2011
MEd/EdS Student, School Psychology Program, UMass Boston
Test Construction Associate, Evaluation Systems Group at Pearson
Research Assistant, 2009-2010
Medical Student, UMass Medical School
Sarah Romeo, MSN, RN
Research Assistant, 2008-2010
Family Nurse Practitioner (pending), Boston College
Research Assistant, 2008-2009
Admission Counselor, Marymount Manhattan College
Research Assistant, 2007-2008
Doctoral Candidate, Department of Psychology, Vanderbilt University